The material below is a general perspective as modified from the specific exposition-of-self I presented as a candidate for local elected office (memorialized HERE). I spent a lot of time thinking about what I thought of excellence and generally soul-searching in 2006 and 2007 to narrow and refine my pursuits and so it seems useful to carry this forward.
The further I have gone in academic and professional pursuits, the more I see that I was of the right mindset in 2006 and just not on the right track…yet. Cue the doctoral studies in public policy…
- I want quality, balanced growth and development for organizations with which I am associated
- I will seek the experience of others to help innovate and corroborate theories and activities
- I believe in learning and discovering by questioning all points of view, determining a course of action, and taking it
- I acknowledge I do not have all the answers, but I will take the initiative to become as informed as possible
- I will respect professional expertise, expect excellence, and demand accountability
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Quality Growth
- Objective Perspective
- Cooperative Results
These four components are the keys to Effective Leadership of and within the organizations with which I am associated.
To make organization with which I am associated the best that they can be through thoughtful cooperation and personal dedication.
- To keep organizations with which I am associated on track with respect to their mission and goals into the future
- To find innovative ways to meet the needs of the stakeholders and constituents of the organizations with which I am associated
- To support groups and peripheral organizations that encourage equal participation and access for the everyone’s enjoyment and enlightenment
- Be optimistic
- Be accessible
- Be accountable
- Be a responsible peer and colleague
- Do my utmost to make organizations with which I am associated a great place to volunteer, work, visit, and patronize
How will I accomplish these goals?
- Being accessible to everyone and meeting and communicating regularly with peers and colleagues
- Cooperating to get results
- Fostering optimism and openness to affirm confidence in the organizations with which I am associated
- Expressing myself and my beliefs in a consistent and reasonable manner
- Remembering that I am working with intelligent, diverse and concerned peers and colleagues that expect to be dealt with fairly and openly